CREATING BRIEF RECORDS
1. Click on Add Title.
2. Set the properties for the Brief Entries Template. NOTE: BRIEF RECORDS
only need basic information about the item .
Format: MARC for books, MUSIC for CDs and talking books, and VM for DVDs, VHS, and BLU-RAY.
Library: TECHSERVS (for orders)†
Library: the owning library (for actual items)
Class Scheme: DEWEY
Type: This depends on the item.
Home Location: ON-ORDER (for orders)
Home Location: INPROCESS (for actual items)
Example for on-order item:
Example for real item (Direct or Gift):
3. Click OK.
4. Click on Add Title again. A blank form will appear.
5. Fill in the fixed fields
6. Fill in the variable fields. Leave a blank if there is no data to enter.
IMPORTANT NOTE:† ALL BOOK RECORDS MUST CONTAIN AN ISBN-10 AND ISBN-13 IN TAG 020.† ALL OTHER RECORDS MUST CONTAIN EITHER A ISBN OR UPC.† BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THESE NUMBERS ARE ENTERED CORRECTLY!† THIS BECOMES CRITICAL DURING THE OVERLAY PROCESS!
For Music Groups use 110 instead of 100 and indicator 2.
Insert |h in 245 (after the title) for:
†[LARGE PRINT] ; [SOUND RECORDINGS] ; [VIDEORECORDINGS]
Add BRIEF RECORD note with your initials in tag 500.
For Videos add Ratings in 521 with 2nd indicator 8.
7. Go to the Call # / Item tab and scroll down to "Call number and copy info..
Enter a CALL NUMBER as usual.
TYPE is the appropriate Item Type.
HOME LOCATION is ON-ORDER (for orders); INPROCESS (for actual items).
ITEM ID is AUTO (for orders); the barcode (for real items).
PRICE:† Enter the
list price if you
have it. (Do not enter the discount price.) There is no need
to enter the price for ON-ORDER items.
There is no need to enter the price for ON-ORDER items.
8. When all appropriate fields are completed, click on Save. If you receive an error message or notice a mistake, click on Make More Changes and return to the appropriate step.
9. Search by ISBN (or otherwise if no ISBN) to find your record.† You should pull up one record Ė the one you just made. If you donít find your record easily, perhaps you made a typo and further editing may be required. If you find multiple records, you may have made a duplicate BR by mistake.† If so, please remove your duplicate.
Example: On-Order Brief Record for Video Disc
Example: On-Order CD Record